Skip to main content

Rolling down my garden is moving

As of June, 2022 Rolling down my garden will be moving to its own side: https://rollingdownmygarden.com Full new posts can be read on the new page.

Growing leafy brassicas in reused plastic juice bottles- is it worth it?

 Most of us grow brassicas the old fashion way. We grow seedlings and transplant them into the garden. We keep them watered and wait for them to grow heads. But what when they refuse to grow one? Is the problem in the variety which we grow, the conditions or climate? Can we grow them some other way?

No heads issue

Growing brassicas in my garden has been a real problem no matter what I did. The cold spring and autumn shortened our season so much that there was no way to grow any brassica heads. The cabbages and kale would miss that initial spring boost, suffer through the summer heat, and rot under the constant cold and rain in autumn. A few years back, I decided that the situation was going nowhere, and started growing leafy kale. The leafy kale turned out to be a good solution, and I grew never more kale that season.

Kale 2020

The situation with seeds in Croatia is fairly bad. We are a part of the EU, and should be able to grow and buy any EU seed here, but the reality is completely different. Most stores sell only a couple of varieties, and I just can't find the varieties which I'd like to grow. Ordering from other European countries doesn't work, the shipping fees are huge and the corruption in the postal services is an issue. There are big chances we'd never get our packages. This is why I needed to find another solution.

Plastic bottles as pots, yes, please

I decided to grow all my brassicas as leafy brassicas and collect as many leaves as possible. Leaves on brassicas are all perfectly edible... Read more here



As of June, 2022 Rolling down my garden will be moving to its own side:

 

https://rollingdownmygarden.com


Full new posts can be read on the new page.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We've been busy at rollingdownmygarden new page

 New posts on  https://rollingdownmygarden.com 1) Apple harvest: compote and dehydrated apples   08/23/2022 2) Lazy Sunday lunch: All-in-one pot  08/21/2022 3) Garden diary: still dealing with drought   08/19/2022 4) Mini buhtle: sweet jam and chocolate buns 08/14/2022 5) Pasta with cabbages-krpice sa zeljem 08/10/2022 6) Watering the overheated garden: When and how  08/08/2022 7) Garden diary:late summer sowing 08/03/2022 8) Blackberries: how to store them for winter 07/31/2022 9) Garden diary: July side garden progress 07/29/2022

New posts on rollingdownmygarden page

  As of June 2022, Rolling down my garden will be moving to its own side:  https://rollingdownmygarden.com Full new posts can be read on the new page: 1) Cucamelon: A small taste bomb 2)Garden diary: A slow hot week 3)Blossom end rot: what can we do about it? 4)A cold week in July 5) Dealing with cracks in soil 6) Zucchinis: eating the whole plant

Tomatoes are out of control

  For most of the past week, I was away from the garden. The weather changed abruptly, and after a few warm weeks, we again had an episode of cold, rainy, and windy days. Of course, as soon as we get rain that lasts a couple of days, it takes at least 48h for the garden to dry enough to be able to enter it. Still, I wasn't too upset since I've done everything that had to be done, and honestly I needed a break. I really thought that after the break I will just dig the garden again and that would be it, but I didn't count on the tomato's ability to grow. This year I'm growing my tomatoes differently... Read more here As of June 2022, Rolling down my garden will be moving to its own side:  https://rollingdownmygarden.com Full new posts can be read on the new page.