2017 Harvest



Saturday, December 2, 2017

Gardening year 2017 is over

After a very rainy November and me being sick I was almost certain I wouldn't finish my deep digging. There were 14 days of work left and I couldn't be sure I would have so many sunny days.
Although nature was acting like we were at the end of the summer with plenty of sunny days ahead and flowers still blooming like mad I knew this could change on a single night. 





I decided to speed up the work. Usually, I deep dig 20m2 a day but now I had to double the amount to finish on time. Digging was very difficult because the soil is already very very wet, so wet, that in fact in we got another rainy day I wouldn't be able to do any more work until spring. Well, I could maybe do some pots and glasses but certainly not deep digging.



On average I've spent 3 to 4 hours a day in the garden digging and besides of the digging and turning of the soil the thing that is the worst is the fact that when deep digging on a steep hill you have to constantly keep your balance on a wet soil using only one foot. After an hour or two, this usually ends with cramps in my calves. So I took with me my fateful companion "the chair" and took little 2-minute breaks every 15 minutes just to change the position of the leg.


I managed to finish all my deep digging in just 5 days and it was just in time. Just 3 days later we've got our first snow.




 The snow melted just a few hours later but still, I'm glad I managed to finish before it because it only made the soil even wetter. With finished deep digging this season is over and now we can start preparing for 2018. Let's hope it will be better than this year.


1 comment:

  1. I bet that you were ready for a rest after all that work.

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥