2017 Harvest



Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Every gardening year starts with pruning

After a long period of freezing below zero temperatures past few days have finally been warm enough to give us a feeling of a winters end. With the morning temperatures around zero and daily slightly over 10°C now is the good time to pay my garden a first visit after almost 4 months.
The soil looks ok and it shouldn't be a problem to prepare it for sowing next year.


On the other hand my orchard is a complete mess. Very moist summer brought many water sprouts and long windy winter made a lot of damage on the plums and cherries.



Of course apples are the biggest challenge every year. With me being very short and unable to climb every tree is a big challenge. Also I can't use a saw so I do my pruning with a bypass pruner and bypass lopper. Of course that means with big branches I have to use lots of strength to be able to cut.



As you can see I still have some twigs on top which I couldn't cut and I'll have to use my landscaper pruner which I absolutely hate using cause it is difficult to control and it takes me ages to get it in the right position.


Apple pruning takes a lot of time, it takes me 3 hours to prune one tree so I'm expecting a whole week, maybe even two to finish my whole orchard.
Pruning also leaves lots of debris that I try to reuse as much as possible. This year big branches will be used to make my fence look scary so my deer friends don't jump over and eat my vegetables.


 Water sprouts that are in good shape will be used as a support for my peppers and tomato seedlings if needed.


For next year I should learn how to use stilts, maybe then my work would be a bit easier.

4 comments:

  1. That's a really BIG job. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been pruning or rather coppicing our hazel bush and have ended up with plenty of pea sticks and bean poles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only have 3 apple trees & (telling on myself) I didn't know they were apples til they started dropping fruit 3 years ago. I am ashamed to say that I spent the proceeding 7 years thinking they were just ugly scrub trees & possibly (definitely) bouncing the edge of the mower against their bases. Now, I treat the trees like they're made of gold!
    Mr Shoes does the trimming for anything bigger than my long handled loppers - arthritis is a super big bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a new lesson for me! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥