2017 Harvest



Sunday, August 14, 2016

First big harvest

When you have a steep garden you try to avoid extra trips as much as possible. You plan every single step very detailed. Everything you need to take, everything you will harvest and how you'll get everything home. Always have enough bags, baskets and bowls to harvest everything. But sometimes even with all the planing you end up without enough bags for all the vegetables.
That's when you have to get creative.

I had one of the "creative" days this week. My harvest was bigger than I thought. I didn't think my beans would be ready for harvest so I didn't take enough bags with me. Of course I tried to avoid returning back uphill so I used what I had with me. My T-shirt and my elastic hairband in seconds became a new bag for my beans. The only downside to this plan was mosquitoes had more chances of biting me and they were even more attracted cause I was sweating like crazy under my freakishly long hair.
Still my new "bag" was huge success and I managed to get home all my vegetables in only one trip.



My new bag got home a 2 kilos of beans and Marrow kale for my bunnies.


My basket was full of peppers, cucumbers,tomatoes, stuffing cucumbers, baby carrots and few blackberries.


This was the first bigger tomato harvest this year.
Tomatoes aren't looking very well this year. Huge amounts of rain woke up early blight and I had to remove most of the branches, also cold spring prolonged my flowering season so my fruits are at least 3 weeks late.

The only tomatoes that ripe exactly as they should are my Rose Quartz multiflora tomatoes. They are full of little fruits.


Every two days I get lots of little tomatoes. Lets hope it will continue like this.


9 comments:

  1. What beautiful harvests! You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of all that good food. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great harvest Leanan, indeed a creative idea to use your shirt as bag. It´s quite a job but satisfying to process all these vegetables.
    Wish you a good new week in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Well a person can be very creative when you're too lazy to make two trips.

      Delete
  3. Determination to get thst harvest back home was strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd carry the fruits in my teeth if that would stop me from climbing the hill twice.

      Delete
  4. You can always eat some harvest, for example tomatoes and cucumbers :) It will be fewer to carry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol didn't think of that. I usually eat half of my orchard harvests :D

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥