2017 Harvest



Thursday, August 6, 2015

Weed battle

Now that the rain has finally stopped and we got some dry weather I was able to clean 70% of my garden from all the weeds that gathered during the last 3 weeks. While we had high temperatures it was impossible to pull the weeds out because the soil was like concrete, then we got rain and there was too much water to even walk on it, so now when it finally dried weeds were already taller than some of my plants.

Most of my chili peppers are in pots in front of the house, but I had some extra plants which I planted in my garden. They are the best example of the amount of weeds in my garden. When the heat started I placed some hay to mulch them and prevent weeds from growing but last years mild winter and lack of freezing didn't destroy the seeds in the ground and even mulch doesn't help much in preventing the growth. Weeds grow through every small crack.


In my downhill garden weed control plastic covers are not an option so I'm left with good old weed puling. Definitely not something I enjoy doing.


Since my leg hurts again and this years soil is a disaster my dad helped me to dig out most of our potatoes. When I was planting potatoes soil was so hard we couldn't dig the rows so we just placed them under hoe. Now when we harvest them we noticed that the potatoes went really deep, in search of good soil.
So far we harvested around 80% of our potatoes, there are still around 5-10kg inside which we will pull out this weekend.


I've also harvested my beans, or should I say the disgrace of beans. The spring sown beans germinated almost after 3 weeks and  very poorly due to the lack of heat and the ones that did germinate were eaten by the birds later. I got a ridiculous amount of beans, which I left to dry and use as dry beans. I didn't even get the 1 kilo I planted back. I the same place yesterday I've sown second batch of peas, spinach and some leftover shallots. I doubt shallots will have time to dry but I'll use them instead of green onions.


My second batch of beans is looking way better than the first one. If it continues like this I'm hoping to recover the lost amount of beans from the first batch here. Again I've sown Trešnjevac beans like always but it seems that this year it's much taller than before. still as long as it doesn't need sticks or net I'm ok with it's height.


It seems that the spraying helped my tomatoes. Still I'm worried that I will lose at least two of my varieties (Viva Italia and Kuma). The other tomatoes started growing healthy branches and growing in height again. There are even some new flowers appearing.



Even Mona Lisa variety is slowly showing signs of recuperation. There are some stems that have been completely infected but next to them I've noticed that there are few new ones that are growing healthy. 

old infected stem
 
new ones in upper part

Even though most of my tomato plants are sick there are two verities that  are completely healthy.
My Ananas noire is perfectly healthy without a single sick leaf.

It still didn't start changing color but I hope it will soon to taste it. It's one of the new varieties in my garden and the one that will definitely be planted next year too. 


Indigo rose is another variety that is blight free. It did start getting few spots on lower leaves but once I removed them it didn't spread to the other leaves.


There's still some weeds left in my garden, mostly on the fair right side where it was still too damp to clean it, but I'm hoping to sort that out this week. Once I'm done cleaning I'll be able to start again from the beginning. It's just lovely how weeds can grow so fast. I wish my plants would grow like that.


10 comments:

  1. We are still waiting to harvest our first runner or French beans. They are very late this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stopped growing French beans few years ago when they didn't come at all 2 years in a row. I'll try them next year maybe again.

      Delete
    2. We start them in pots and plant them out. This year we are only growing climbing varieties

      Delete
    3. They don't stop growing after transplanting them? I have only bush varieties this year. Next year I'll probably try pole ones again.

      Delete
  2. Weeds always grow beautifully, disease free, vigorous.
    It's maddening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we should start growing and eating weeds :D

      Delete
  3. Your tomatoes and beans are so lush, so productive. Weeding is something that I hate, especially during the rainy season, they grow like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they seem to drive all of us crazy.

      Delete
  4. O I know all about weeds, when you are finished you can start again, that's the life of a gardener. Glad your father helped with the potatoes, you have such a large vegetable plot....... These beans on the photo look really good, they will give you a good harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the second batch of beans will have the time to ripe, if we get a moody end of summer I could end with a bunch of still green pods.

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥