2017 Harvest



Friday, May 15, 2015

Transplanting time part 2

After my pumpkin adventure it was time to plant my tomatoes. I could plant only half because this moody year kept some of my tomatoes from growing and they were too small to transplant them. I'm hoping that with some sunny days they will be ready in a week.


This year I planted 42 varieties of tomatoes, 6 determinate ones, 7 vigorous ones and the rest are indeterminate. I'm not sure about the amount of the tomatoes in each variety because in some pots I had 4 seedlings, in some just one so I did some pot transplanting, but I hope I will have enough poles for this years tomatoes.
I've planted many new varieties to test them, I have some old ones that proved excellent for my climate, and some that I absolutely adore for their taste(like DeBarao and Black seaman)

In fear of lacking planting space I planted lettuce and cabbages between tomatoes. I'm hoping that tomatoes will give them much needed shade in hot days. I've also sown some borage between tomatoes to keep the diseases away and give more taste to my tomatoes, not that we need better taste...when sunny summer hits us tomatoes are always tasty.

Planting was done like every year, dig a hole, add some bunny manure, place tomatoes inside, sprinkle with crushed egg shells and cover with soil, get up move to next tomatoes and sit back down...I've perfected the sitting down planting technique this year, with my sore foot I'm always searching for ways not to stand much, now if I could only find a way to dig while sitting down that would be great :D


After the planting all that was left was to drag watering can around in almost completely dark garden. By the time I have finished planting it was already 9pm. I always water well the pots before transplanting and the soil immediately after they are in ground. That way with a decent rain I don't have to water my seedlings after transplanting them.


And  indeed I won't have to water them because rain came today. It's raining since early morning. Although I feared we'd get a thunderstorm this rain came very calmly and in decent amounts. 20 liters in less than 12 hours is just what we needed.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Leanan!
    I thank you for your visit to my blog this morning. I'm so glad you commented--I discovered another WONDERFUL blog--I just love your garden. It's amazing!
    42 tomatoes? WOW!
    Looking forward to following your garden adventures. Happy Gardening!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi :)
      Thank you for your kind words.
      Yes, 42 varieties, although I think I miscalculated and there are few varieties more. The only thing I'm sure of is that I have room for 180 seedlings :D

      Delete
  2. So nice all those tomatoe plants along the poles. Last photo is really beautiful because it shows an overview of your kitchen garden and it looks so neat.
    We should like to have some rain too, now we have to irrigate with water from the canal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you got nice amount of rain to keep your garden alive.
      Trust me it looks neat from far. When you get closer there are weeds sticking out from all sides. :)

      Delete
  3. You remind me in to my poor tomatoes. Yours looks well handling and so organized. I like the poles, so tidy. Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      Tomatoes are my true passion so they look better than the rest of the garden :)

      Delete
  4. What an incredible number of tomato varieties you grow how do you manage to look after all of those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that hard to tend them. Pruning takes long(4-5 hours) but the rest is easy. My biggest problem is remembering where I planted which variety :D

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥