2017 Harvest



Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Spring is late

This year it seems spring has decided to take it slow. Although it's almost April and we haven't had any snow since middle of February most plants are still sleeping. Morning temperatures are very low so trees haven't started blooming or forming leaves. I can't remember the last time my orchard was completely dormant at this time of the year. Only few Japanese cherries and Forsythias in sunny parts give some color to our village. Forests trees are still without leaves, filled with Scillas and Helleborus, in shady parts there are still many snowdrops.
Meadows are still covered in dry grass from last year. If you look closely under the grass there are some Sweet violets and Primroses.

My garden is also dormant. The only color I have in it is from a Primrose bush that has been blooming since February and some Hyacinths that started blooming 2 days ago.

Low temperatures and very strong winds are making my every gardenin day a struggle. It took me almost 2 weeks to sow my earliest vegetables. During the February strong winds over dried my soil so after a week of dry but cold weather I got a concrete plate on top of my soil. I dag my beds 3 times to try and soften the lumps of soil, without much success I waited for the rain. The rain came last week and all it did was turn lumps into sticky lumps.


I dag all beds one more time and had to sow. Let's just say I had to make a jigsaw puzzle of soil to cover all my seeds.

I've sown 3 types of carrots Deep Purple, Chantenay and Flakkee, Ptuj red onions and shallots. I managed to sow peas too, instead of 2 varieties this year I have 3. The third one was not planned. I wanted to sow peas that don't need any support. So I decided to get American wonder like every year.
 Well this is where my problem starts. For the second variety I couldn't remember which one I had last year. I had my doubts between Rondo and Progress 9. And of course I got the wrong one. I got 500gr of Rondo peas that grow up to 75cm and need some kind of support.
Now I had no idea where to plant it because when I decided not to plant tall peas I removed all the hooks from my poles and used them for tomatoes. So I decided to throw some peas under my garden fence. Maybe he'll like it there. If the deer don't see it as a free meal.
Because of my mistake I needed another pea variety. The trouble is that at this time our stores don't have any more seeds left so I ended up with a new Hungarian variety Villő. It's a late variety that should be bushy and have big pea pods. We'll see...

The situation in my seedling wonderland is also sticky. Low temperatures are preventing me from keeping my seedling outside. That's why I keep on bringing them in and out of the house.



Also some of my varieties that would usually stay inside have to stay in greenhouse every night so the frost doesn't kill them. Because of the low temperatures my tomatoes haven't germinated yet and I don't have any room to keep them in the house. They are stuck in my 2 shelf greenhouses waiting for the weather to get better.
Right now my greenhouse is overcrowded with pots, All the plants that still haven't germinated are stacked on top of other pots, peppers are stacked on top of those pots and now I have 3 levels of pots inside.



The ones that don't have enough room in the greenhouses are in improvised greenhouses aka. garbage bags.



To make my life even more complicated I decided that I don't want to wait for my shallots to be ready but I'll have some green onions from my Ptuj onions.I found some old plastic egg boxes and thought they would make a great little bulb beds.
sometimes it's good to have lots of clutter
So now I have 4 new "pots" that need a sunny place in the garden.


Normally I would just leave them in some corner or place them in my flower bed because Nero is a good dog that doesn't walk on flowers. Well Nero is...the other one not so much.

Gizmo(doggie got the name from the Gremlins) is still here. Turning my life into a everyday hurricane. When he doesn't bicker with Nero, barks at every moving thing or chews my sleeves he likes to chew things and walk on my flower beds. He's small and crawls under every obstacle and jumps around like a goat. There are not many flower still and he is light so I don't mind him jumping around...only if he would stop leaving me little presents on top of my flowers. :)


Now that he's here even Nero became a bit childish again so now my yard looks like I have a bunch of kids in it. Toys everywhere.


I'm just waiting for them to decide it would be fun to play with my peppers or chew down bulbs. Year just keeps getting better and better :)

what should we destroy next :)

6 comments:

  1. Spring is late here too this year and the gales are keeping us indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winds are keeping us inside too. This year every north wind we get is over 60mph. I can't remember when we had such cloudy and rainy spring.

      Delete
  2. So nice to see these two dogs together creating havoc in the garden, haha. I see Nero have toys too, like Snarf, they are so childish. Love it.
    You have an amazing lot of seedlings again, I really do hope the weather turns better and remain good, with sun in daytime and some rain at night, so you will have a great harvest in summer and autumn. Good luck!
    This year spring is everywhere late, when I see my pictures of the same time last year, the difference is obvious.
    Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes Nero likes his toys too, only he liked to play with them, now the two pests destroy every single toy they get. I do hope weather will be better soon.

      Delete
  3. I like to see your seedlings. They look so lush and healthy. Happy gardening, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope they will get bigger soon, they are a bit small for this time of the year.

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥