2017 Harvest



Thursday, March 19, 2015

Busy and cold

After this years cold beginning, spring sowing is now finally in full swing. I've sown chili peppers in end of January and until last week that was all I have sown.
First sunbathing

Part of the reason for starting so late was that this year is much colder than the past one. We still have frost every morning and daily temperatures haven't still reached 15°C. in this conditions even my mobile greenhouses aren't of much use since in them temperatures in the morning are around 0°C. The other reason for my late start is lack of good sowing substrate. For some reason all our garden centers order good substrate in beginning of March. I had to use regular potting soil for my chili peppers. For now they are growing. Slower than they would normally but they are progressing.

Because of this delay this past week has been very busy. In just couple of days I had to sow most of my vegetables, prune orchard and prepare garden beds. Well I did half of the job. So far I've pruned my orchard and sown lettuce, peppers, tomatoes and part of new flowers.




Garden is still intact.
Not that I didn't have time to do it, But because I got other preoccupation that flew in...or should i say barked it's way in.

This Monday after Nero and I returned from our daily walk we got a surprise waiting in front of our fence. A little furball was sitting in the corner looking scared. At first I thought that it just came here to sniff around and it will leave. It's a village, we get this kind of visits all the time. But hours went by and furball was still waiting in the corner. At the evening we decided that it didn't come to sniff...it was left here.

So now I have 2 dogs in my yard. Little furball is a small, curly dog..a lot like Nero only on short legs. The dog(doesn't have a name yet) was very scared so it took me almost 2 hours to get him in the yard. I'm not sure about his age. But from what it seems it's a very young dog.


I took him in to keep him of the street but here begins our problem. Croatian dumb structures. We called a vet, they said to call animal shelter. We called animal shelter they said since our municipality doesn't pay them they don't want the dog and that I should call service person. We called him, he said he will try to work it out and nothing happened. It's been 4 days and still no word from any of them. Dog is still here.


In this past few days he accepted me so now he jumps all over my head, chews my hands and doesn't leave me alone. But only me, he doesn't accept any other person and barks and growls as soon as you get close to him. He also barks at Nero. Having two male dogs in same yard is never a good idea. Having Nero and another male dog is terrible idea. Nero is a very timid dog, and this little guy feels it, so he's trying to be the boss. This results in them fighting so I'm constantly playing the cop.


For this reason I had to divide my yard in two parts. Nero is now in upper yard and in the house while other dog got the backyard and work-shed. There wouldn't be much problems except this little "hard to see me cause I'm so small" dog knows how to jump over the fences. So now I have to make new improvised fences to keep him from jumping over and start bickering with Nero.

I can't wait to see how tomorrow will pass because I just have to start working in the garden and they can't join me both. If I take little guy Nero will get a nervous breakdown and if I take Nero little one will probably try to jump over the fence and get in the garden.

It's going to be a long long day...

2 comments:

  1. That dog knew where to come to find a good home - any clues as to where it came from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to 'see' you again! What a great seedling!

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥