2017 Harvest



Sunday, August 3, 2014

What's wrong with this picture?

 Every person has it's favorite flower. The one that they would pick out from millions of other flowers. The one that makes them shiver when they see it and it's smell brings smile on their face.

For me that flower is lily. I love their smell, colors and delicate flowers. I love how they color your nose in yellow when you try to smell them. For me lilies are even more elegant flowers than roses.

I still remember the first lily I got 10 years ago. My own Stargazer lily. And I still have it.It blooms every year, giving me 3 beautiful gorgeous smelling flowers.
My lily was blooming this year too.


 This year it had only 2 flowers, one got damaged from the wind. Still they managed to produce enough aroma to fill my room every morning with gorgeous scent.
Over the years I bought or got many lilies and none of them survived. They just disappear. Still I'm happy for every new bulb I buy.

It was the same thing this spring. I got 2 new red lilies. I was so happy about them. Until it was time to see the flower. Only one of them bloomed, and it wasn't what I expected.
I still don't know what to think.

 
The flower I got doesn't even look like lily. It's small, with 6 normal petals. There is no stigma or stamens. It's doesn't smell. Nothing.
My lily is just not a lily. So I'm back to my only fateful Stargazer lily. At least he never fails me.



9 comments:

  1. Can you take it back to the shop and ask them to explain. It looks a bit like a deforrmed tulip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I would love that. Here once you plant it it's over. They just say that they can't be sure it's their bulb.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes such things happen and don't meet our expectations. I like lilies too but I am always too late to catch the nasty lily beetles which ruin the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. I have never seen any beetle eat lilies here.

      Delete
  3. Your lily is so stunning! It's not easy to grow it here. Sometime we can find lilies are grown on the highland, but just for a limited quantity, so the price is so expensive. For cut flowers, we still imported from some subtropical countries. I'm really jealous with your lilies, although the red one is not on the best performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I thought lilies like warm and rainy weather. My stargazer doesn't seem to care if it's cold, warm or rainy. It always grows. You don't have them there?

      Delete
  4. I have a lily like yours in its third year the scent is almost overpowering and luckily no lily beetles this year - other types just don't come back and I have to buy new each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. Others just disappear during the winter. I thought it's just me but it seems that they really get stronger scent with years.

      Delete
  5. I had a lily similar to the red one. I planted a bulb, and later my husband accidentally dug out 3/4 of the bulb, only one "clove" of the bulb survived, I planted it and it grew a weak stem and just one little flower, the flower was very simple.

    Maybe some rodent in the ground ate some part of the bulb?

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥