2017 Harvest



Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Chili peppers

Almost every garden has at least one variety of chili peppers. Mine is no exception. I love chili peppers. I love spicy food and almost all of the food I eat has a touch of spicy peppers inside.
Finding chili peppers in Croatia is not an easy job. There are no seed stores that sell them. Only variety of hot peppers that are sold in our stores are pepperonchini(0-500shu) The only way to get hotter chili peppers is trading seeds with pepper enthusiasts or buying them from other countries.

This is why I started collecting my own chili pepper seed base. My start was slow. Last year I only managed to get Red Basket of Fire chili pepper. I was really pleased with it. They are nicely hot(80 000shu) an last year I got 10 small jars of peppers from 2 plants.


This year I planted them again. This time I planted 4 seedlings in big pots/buckets(there is never enough pots) and 2 in my garden.


What I love about RBoF is that they are very colorful. They have green,yellow, red and purple peppers and their hotness depends on time when they were harvested.


This year I managed to get Jalapeño, Tabasco and Brown Habanero.
I was a bit late with this seedlings.The seeds came in late April so now my plants are smaller than Red Basket but they are progressing.

Jalapeño plants are on my balcony. They were attacked by bugs so we moved them to safer place.


We sprayed them with milk and this week they gave me first pepper. I'll leave it to ripe and take seeds to have enough for next year.


Jalapeño peppers are mild chili peppers(5000shu). I bought them to make stuffed peppers. I love chili peppers and cheese.

Tabasco peppers are bigger and have more little peppers. There will be enough for eating and storing seeds.


Tabasco peppers are hotter than Jalapeño peppers(50 000shu) but when looking at them they are very similar to Red Basket.


I'm very proud I managed to get Brown Habanero. Since we had a bit cold summer and I sown them too late my peppers are still a bit small, but I'm not worried about them. Habanero pepper is a perennial pepper so as soon as it gets too cold this peppers are moving inside the house.


Brown Habanero is one of the hottest chili peppers and it has 450 000shu. Normally people can't eat it. Still I bought it and I will dry and make a chili powder.
There are only 6 hotter peppers than Habanero and I'm trying to get 2 of them. I would love to have Bhut Jolokia(900 000shu) and Trinidad Moruga Scorpion(2 000 000shu).
Only I have no idea who of my family would be brave enough to eat them. :)

10 comments:

  1. I love peppers, I used to like the really spicy ones but now-a-days I enjoy the milder varieties such as Shishito and Padron, last year I discovered Yummy and I was hooked on the first bite, it's a small pepper about the size and thickness of Jalapeno but without the heat and very sweet, much tastier than the regular size bell pepper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love milder peppers, now I like spicy ones. I tried Yummy pepper. They are like our pepperonchinis. They really are tastier. I also ate fried Padron peppers in Mexican restaurant, they were delicious.

      Delete
  2. I do love peppers, but not the hot and spicy ones. Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      There are many sweet peppers that are delicious too.

      Delete
  3. So you're my chili kindred spirit! :D I love chilis too! I love spicy food, in the past I didn't like it very much, but when I got pregnant I started to crave spiciness in food and I still do. I have many chili varietes but I'm collecting new ones for the next season. Will you save me a few red basket seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. I already left one plant to fully ripe. :)

      Delete
  4. Not something we grow after I had stinging hands for days once after handling them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yes they can be really stingy. Luckily Red Basket isn't like that. I pick them without gloves and they don't sting. Habanero will be a bit tricky. I hope dishwashing gloves will be thick enough :)

      Delete
  5. I love chili pepper too. Right now I'm growing nine varieties. There are so much pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nine...wow that's really a lot of varieties. I'm half way there :)

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥