2017 Harvest



Saturday, August 16, 2014

Another rainy week

After few days of warm and sunny weather we are back to this years "normal" weather. Temperatures are below 20°C and it's raining every day.
This change came with very strong rain that flooded parts of North Croatia.
Our hill was helpful again so there are no floods but this 80mm of water we got certainly did some damage.
There was no wind so I thought my garden would be safe but still my garden was hit hard.

Every tall plant fell down from the strength of the rain. All my corns were on the floor.


I managed to tie them back up. Some of them got a stick to hold them and others are supported by corns that weren't damaged.


millets were already tied to a stick but they still got rolled on the floor.

Water damaged my new lettuce seedlings. They just got out this week.


My lettuce stems were also on the floor. Some of them were broken and there will be no seeds this year. Others were just on the floor so I got them back up.



Beans I planted few weeks ago just started blooming.


And now they are on the floor, many of them are broken and I don't know if they will rise back up again.


Rain finally stopped but temperatures aren't rising. It's really cold. We are back to sweaters and jeans. This kind of temperatures are great for my Ipomea that is blooming whole day.


But it's also great for blight. It's ravaging through my garden. Last victim are my cucumbers.
I don't think we will harvest any more and we harvested only 2 kilos this year.



By the looks of it this year autumn will come very soon.

10 comments:

  1. Oh... I'm so sorry about the damage. This case often happen on my gaden during the rainy season. Sometime it makes frustation. I hope everything gonna be better. And your garden become lush again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here our gardening season is over when rainy season starts. This year it started way too soon.

      Delete
  2. It sounds just like the weather we have been having at the moment - very disappointing. What a shame about your crops after all that hard work all to be dashed to the ground - hopefully better weather will be on its way and the garden will pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this year is definitely filled with dangerous oscillations.

      Delete
  3. It's the strong winds combined with sudden downpours that are giving our plants a battering. The weather changes by the minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen on news that you are having a difficult weather too. Hang in there. Hope weather will come down.

      Delete
  4. At this very moment we have that weather, rain and wind. It is such a pity when you have disappointing crops after all the work. May be a sunny month of September will recover your vegetables I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some parts will recover. But in September our morning temperatures are always under 10°C and most plants stop growing.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry about your plants, I hope they'll get along. I think that beans should rise up again, except for those broken of course.

    In my region the weather also changed, before we had heat, now it's cold and rainy, weather looks like autumn. I'm wearing a sweater and jeans too, and drinking hot cup of tea, it's unbelievable, but it's quite chilly here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of beans did rise up, but the part that was badly affected is still down.
      Your weather changed really fast. It definitely looks like autumn.

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥