2017 Harvest



Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Spring review

This year spring wasn't very good to us. We had unusually warm March and April. The result was that our peas started drying too soon. So probably we will not have good harvest this year. Unusually warm days also brought problems with seedlings that grew too tall, and cold nights prevented us from transplanting them to the garden. Result was damaged pepper seedlings that were struck down by weeks of cold and unusually strong wind. We also had 3 days of hailstorms. Hail damaged my zucchinis and lettuces.

May was colder with huge amounts of rain that caused floods and landslides all over the country. Temperatures in last 14 days were below 20°C. This is unusual for this part of Croatia since our normal temperatures by the end of May are always over 25°C.

I can't say that my plants don't like this last few days. There is enough water for them to grow. This is probably one of the rare moments when I'm happy I live on the hill. All the extra water drains down so my garden isn't flooded like some of the gardens in my village that are on flat ground. Also with water draining down I don't have that muddy concrete part of soil that damages roots and prevents vegetables from growing.
Also temperatures aren't too high for my plants so they don't suffer from heat like they did in April.
This is why all my vegetables look good for now, well except of the peas that have already been too damaged to recuperate.
Potatoes will bloom soon.


Tomatoes already have flowers and will soon start making fruits.


Peppers that were transplanted 2 weeks ago are a bit yellow from colder weather but they are growing and hopefully will soon reach earlier transplanted peppers that already have flower buds.


Zucchinis recuperated from hail and are blooming like mad.

There are already little zucchinis that will soon be ready for our first harvest.


Beans survived rough weather condition, big amounts of water and too wet soil and now they are growing nicely.


Cabbages

and lettuce that survived hail really like this past few cold days. They doubled the size in just 14 days.


Shallots

Beets

Flowers are starting to fill up empty spaces in the garden. Nigellas, poppy and roses give the garden much needed color.


And when there is nothing else in the garden to show there is always a big black ball of fur that is watching my every move.


Summarizing everything summer was very wet with jumps between extremely hot and cold days and with strong and hurricane winds. Let's just hope summer will be better.

10 comments:

  1. I envy you this garden, your veggies look so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them are healthy, but some of them don't look good. I just avoid taking photos of sick vegetables :)

      Delete
  2. Despite the lost peas you have a huge number of different vegetables growing very well. I think there is something changing in the climate, our winter was too mild, now we have lots of insects and also slugs eating so many plants. In the morning I collect hundreds of these sticky things. But let's not complain, we have enough rain and I hop enough sun.
    A hug to that furry ball of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so sorry about your slug problems.I heard slugs like beer. Try getting them drunk, maybe they'll leave your vegetables.

      Delete
  3. Its all looking good now despite all the difficult weather. Its great to have a furry helper too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, until he decides to help me dig around the garden and my vegetables getting the way.

      Delete
  4. Sounds an extreme weather. But your veggies grow so healthy, so nice. Hope the weather will be better next. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our temperatures are now around 30°C so I can say we are back to normal. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad things seem to be surviving - shame about the peas. We've just planted out our courgettes (zucchini)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year there is some variety of my vegetables that doesn't survive our weather problems. Last year it was our beans, this year peas. We can only hope our other vegetables will give us nice harvests.

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥