2017 Harvest



Monday, June 16, 2014

Colorful and windy

William R. Alger said that "After every storm the sun will smile"..well in our case it's the other way. After the sun smiles there is a storm. Last week sun was smiling like crazy. Our temperatures were over 35°C. Still my garden was looking good. 


We had lots of rain this spring so plants were surviving. Of course after this kind of temperatures we knew that as soon as the rain comes we will have storms.

The storm came on Thursday. Temperatures dropped to 15°C and strong wind was mixed with hail the size of peas. We can be happy that hail was really small and that it didn't last long so there was small damage. The only thing that got holes was my Canna lily. But it's leaves are go gentle that they get damaged from watering so I wasn't too upset about it.


 In the garden there was no visible damage from hail but wind did some damage.
My potatoes are all rolled on the ground. I'm hoping they will get back up by themselves.


Some of my tomatoes weren't so lucky. All of them were rolled down. I tied them all up before the storm but it didn't help.


My Viva Italia tomatoes weren't only rolled down. Most of them have broken branches. The worst thing is that they already had little tomatoes on them.


Temperatures made my lettuce to produce flower stalks so I had to start harvesting them. I harvested 2 Endive and one Nansen lettuce head. I'm happy with their size. This is a 10l bowl.


 The one thing that I'm not happy with is my peas. The harvests are really really poor. I sown 1 kilo of peas and by the way things are looking right now I'll be happy if I manage to harvest 2 kilos of peas.

Yes those are Nero's toys on the floor

 The one thing that loves this kind of weather are my flowers.
My Peonny poppies are blooming


And Nero loves them too


Chamomile has it's first flowers. I'm surprised it is growing so well with all the weather changes we are having this year.


First Cosmos fizzy flower


Iberis has spreaded all around my garden. It looks great coloring by the green  beds.

My  Ipomea wall is progressing and giving me first pretty flowers. I was hoping to get purple and blue flowers but instead I got pale pink ones. I'll see what colors I'll get when the rest of Ipomea plants start blooming.


10 comments:

  1. Anyway, despite the poor harvest of peas your vegetable garden looks great! Especially on first picture you get a good idea of how many different veggies you are growing. Nero looks very serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nero was serious. There was a cat on one of our apples and he doesn't like cats. :D

      Delete
  2. Such a shame about your tomatoes. I don't think peas appreciate a lot of heat. I don't think I could stand 35 degrees either! For us the weather can;t decide whether to smile or cry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peas love the weather you have. Lots of rain and colder summer. I have no idea what I'll do with them next year.

      Delete
  3. You garden is looking so organised and productive - shame about the damage to your plants - but I am sure they will survive and re-grow, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will. If this moody weather doesn't bring us diseases.

      Delete
  4. Your flower's patch looks so stunning! I have never success on growing peas, I don't know why. I'm glad that your plants can survive on the extreme weather. Hope next you have better weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have the same problem like I do. Too much heat kills peas.They like their temperatures under 25°C

      Delete
  5. Your poppies are beautiful! Isn't it such a shame that after the plants do so well in all the sunshine that they are smashed by the rain and wind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is a shame. But I'm happy the damage wasn't bigger. There were years when wind damaged so much we had nothing to harvest.

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥