2017 Harvest



Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Surviving rainy days

What happens when you get hailstorm, rainstorm and extreme wind in just one week - you get rotten plants, mud and snakes.

Hail damage wasn't as bad as I thought. The only plants that got badly damaged were my zucchinis. They got holes on almost every leaf and most of the stems have been broken.



Onions also got their bruises but they will recuperate quickly.


My peas survived without any damage. I cleaned the weeds and covered them for the first time.


Hail wasn't the only bad thing in my garden last week. We also got 100l of rain in just a few days. Yes we also get some sunny hours so sunny part of the garden manages to dry but my shady part of the garden is a disaster.

Lettuce seedlings have been halved.


Every day there is more and more seedlings that die from this crazy weather.


I'm afraid for my beans. They still haven't germinated. The soil is too wet and cold and they are just standing. If we don't get some sunny and dry days soon my I will lose 2kilos of bean seeds.


Water is still standing in little puddles all over the garden. I have never seen it before. We had rain and too wet soil but never puddles in downhill beds.


Snakes are also confused with this weather. Usually I see them only in early morning and evening but now they are crawling around all the time.
2 days ago while I was working in the garden grass snake was trying to find a place to sleep.



In the end she decided I was too loud and hid inside my raspberries.


Although weather is playing tricks on us I can't wait anymore and I have to plant some of my seedlings. I've prepared my seedling beds and tomorrow I'll transplant half of my tomato seedling. Pepper seedlings will have to wait few more days.


8 comments:

  1. Do you ever start beans in pots and transplant them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried 2 years ago but it didn't work well, also I don't have enough room for all pots.

      Delete
  2. Can I get some rain from you, it is terribly dry over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sure, I'll blow the clouds your way, it seems like they got stuck over us. :)

      Delete
  3. I hope the weather goimg to better and better, so your garden will do well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hope May and June will be better.

      Delete
  4. It is such a shame when the weather destroys your hard work. There is still time to rebuild your veg patch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at least it this bad weather was at the beginning of this gardening season and everything can recuperate.

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥