2017 Harvest



Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Drunken poles

We are back to our summer weather. Temperatures are again over 20°C, soil is dry so I used this weather to do something I usually do in May. I've placed all the poles for my tomatoes. Sure it's really hot while you carry 80 poles down the garden but at least it is not slippery so this year I don't have bruises on my butt from falling.


Like I said before soil is really dry so I had problems with hammering my poles. So now they are uneven, crooked, ugly and I don't care about it. I hope my tomato seedlings will grow soon and nowbody will see how badly I did it.


I've also learned that my main garden path is wavy. I didn't make it like I was supposed to so now one of my beds is 1,4m on the top and only 1m on the bottom.Because of this poles on this bed look even worse. I usually plant my seedlings in the middle of the bed but with only 1meter I don't have enough room for planting 2 rows. I'll have to plant my seedlings in front of the poles.


After my fiasco with poles I had to do some planting to calm my anger. I've saved some Christmas wheat and I decided to plant it in the garden.


I have no idea what variety of the wheat I have, or how tall it will grow so I couldn't use it for shading my peppers or watermelons. Instead I planted it on the bottom of my garden to give some shade to my blackberries. Every year our first row of blackberries suffers from extreme heat and my fruits turn white in just a couple of hours. I hope with this shade I'll be able to save more fruits this year.


I've also got out my favorite barrel and planted some of my shade plants for our front yard.


Our front yard is also exposed to extreme temperatures during the summer. My bedroom is on this side and since temperatures in front of the house are around 45°C most of the summer the walls get warm and sleeping in the bedroom is almost impossible.
That's why every year I try to make shade for my bedroom wall hoping it will lower the temperature. First few years I've had blinds and shutters on my window but they don't help much. Then I started planting Canna lily and placing them in front of my wall. This helps a lot but it takes almost 2 months for them to reach 2 meters and cover my whole wall. This year I'm trying something else. I'm making Ipomea wall in front of my bedroom. I've bought blue and multicolor Ipomea. It grows quickly and I hope it will make a jungle wall so the sun can't heat my wall directly.
The only problem I had was how to get my Ipomea to climb from the barrel to the wall. I plan to fix it with an old grill and rope.



I plan to bury the grill inside the barrel and tie ropes to it. It maybe sounds funny but I don't want to waste good wood to make small climber when I have this old thing just lying around.
There was still some room in the barrel so I decided to plant my new red Lily inside it to fill the front part of the barrel. I think it will look and smell great combined with big green Ipomea leaves.


My garden is getting more colors every day. More and more flowers are blooming. Soon it will have it's spring rainbow glow again.





8 comments:

  1. As you said tomatoes won't mind drunken poles :) and hopefully your idea of covering the wall with plants will work perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hope it will work. Or I'll have to invent some new method of covering the wall.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers! I always dream to have a wide and beautiful garden like yours. You have do a great job for your garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's wide but it's too steep. I would rather have a smaller but flat one.

      Delete
  3. I can imagine how it looks when the Ipomea has covered your wall, so beautiful. I think the tomatoes don't care if the poles are crooked and stand in a wave, if they get enough sun and food they will provide you with lots of delicious fruits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh tomatoes don't mind but I do :) The truth is that is they aren't all the same then my tomatoes don't hold each other and our strong winds break them. I hope they are still good enough so we won't have any damage.

      Delete
  4. Our soil is still quite damp and the weather is very murky. No heat problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some rain yesterday so I hope the soil will be better now.

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥