2017 Harvest



Saturday, March 22, 2014

Orchard newbies

Yesterday we bought two new members for our orchard family. 2 years old American blueberry "Bluecrop" and one year old apricot Aurora.
Bluecrop blueberry is large bush blueberry with big sour fruits that ripen in mid July. It like sunny places and tolerates drought. It's highly resistant to diseases and bugs. Apricot Aurora is early variety with medium size yellow fruits.



Since there was an announcement of possible strong wind and rain for next few days and my apricot is without container I decided to plant my new fruits today.


First I decided to plant my blueberry. It needs smaller hole so it was easier to plant it. Also I had help in digging.


After he finished digging my helper decided to rest inside his work. I had to wait with planting until his highness decided his break was over. Of course I forgot to take photo of my blueberry but you can see it behind my little beast.


I've planted my blueberry and now we can hope it will like it's new home.


My apricot is huge for one year old tree so I had to dig a big hole.
 It felt like digging a grave. By the time I finished with it I wanted to lay inside it and die.

  
Again I forgot to take photo after planting, actually I was distracted with all the pretty flowers in my orchard.


With this I finished all the work for now. Now we are waiting for the rain to start sowing.
I really need a break from all the work. Lets hope the rain will come soon.



11 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your new acquisitions to your orchard! Blueberries and apricots are my favorite fruits, so I have to admit I envy you a little. I know, digging holes can be quite exhausting, even with all the help that you were having ;-), but I am always happy when it is done and I can plant something new. Wishing you that you get lots of fruits from both plants!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, don't envy me. Our soil is very stingy. Fruits grow very slowly and give small amounts of fruits. I hope we'll have more luck with apricots.

      Delete
  2. We are still waiting to see if any fruit has set on our apricot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to wait at least 2 more years

      Delete
  3. It looks like this year is good for trying fruit trees. I got peach and cherry one for our garden. P.s. stay with your feet up even if it won't rain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rained so I did catch few days of rest.

      Delete
  4. I got a new peach tree last year - it is full of blossom at the moment and my blueberry bushes which were new as well are growing well. Hope you have plenty of fruits in the years to come. Aren't you lucky have such a kind helper who digs holes for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I'm lucky as long as my helper doesn't get capricious and starts digging up my planted trees.

      Delete
  5. We love blueberries, your bushes look fantastic. Mine are still young and not producing much fruit. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bush will have fruits next year...well at least I hope it will have fruits.

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥