Past two days I've spent cleaning and pruning our orchard. I think I finally figured out how to prune apples and did a good job.
I've also pruned red currants
I've also cleaned all the leaves, now all I have to do is paint the trees but I don't have any paint so I'll have to get some before painting.
While I was in the orchard I couldn't resist and I just had to do some work in the garden.
When you have a garden on the hill and deep dig your garden every year, then you also have to make new paths every year. I have to make 3 big paths for all the water that could fall during gardening season, and other paths are just to know where my beds will be.
We have such nice and warm weather that I could start sowing in garden right now, but I'm scared that there will be more bad weather with low temperatures so I'll wait 2 weeks more before sowing peas and carrots.
But that doesn't mean that I don't have anything to sow. I have plenty of work with my future seedlings.
I've got my second bag of Klasmann and I was able to start sowing again.
Today I've spent 4 hours sowing everything I had to sow this week.
I had planed 70 more seedlings of tomatoes, so today I wanted to sow 35 pots(every pot 2 seeds) of tomatoes, but I've got an order of 50 seedlings from my aunt so I've had to plant 25 pots extra.
I even had to get one more table to keep all the things I need for planting.
25 Pots of tomatoes and nosy Nero
When I finished with tomatoes for family I started sowing seeds for my garden.
I've sown: Oxheart tomato(10s), Marmande (10s), Rio grande (10s), Giant Belgium (10s), Costoluto (8s), Tlacolula (4s) Don Juan (8s) and Campbell (12s)
With this tomatoes my second greenhouse is also full. Actually everything is full of pots. House is filled with pepper pots, greenhouses have tomato, cabbage and lettuce pots
one basement is filled with flower pots and furnace basement is filled with plants that need high temperatures to germinate.
I don't have any room for new pots. But still I couldn't help myself and I just had to plant pots with celery, millet, corn, sunflowers, zucchinis and camomile.
I still haven't decided where to store this pots so I left them in furnace basement till I make room for them somewhere.
With all this seeds I had problems marking every pot. Usually I had a writable tape that I taped on my pots, but the tapes fell of many times and I had no idea what was in pots. This was very annoying so I had to come with another way to mark them. I started using the same method I used with my tomatoes. Little plastic sticks.
Somebody would say that is not eco-friendly...well actually it is. I use old plastic blinds. These blinds had to be replaced because they got broken but still there is enough of them for my labeling. I just cut all the ropes and cut blinds in 3-5(depending on blind size) pieces. I use cd pen for writing. They don't get erased with water and write amazingly on plastic blinds.
This year I used most of the tomato labels from last year. I replaced only the ones that I needed for new varieties.
With today's sowing I think I'm done with all the seedlings. The rest will go directly to the garden. I'll sow some lettuce again in June but that's still far away.
I can say that I'm really tired from all the sowing today, actually my back hurts really bad from standing and stooping, even my little helper was so tired he just collapsed on the bed and spent 2 hours snooring.
Still I like this kind of tiredness, it means gardening is back.
- Vegetable Encyclopedia