2017 Harvest



Sunday, March 16, 2014

First flowers and harvest

 Past few days have been busy. I've been cleaning our compost pit. We haven't been cleaning it for 5 years and now it was the time to clean it. I was really surprised by the amount of compost I found inside. Almost everything turned to compost. Only thing that was left were tomato plants from last year.


I've got 300 liters of great compost. The bad thing about cleaning this pit was that I had to drag bags of compost up the hill. I need this compost for my seedlings and for this I had to take it to the basement.


 If only my soil was as good as compost. Garden is a mess. We had few weeks of really strong wind that dried out all the soil. Now I have a crust on top of the soil that is almost impossible to break.


I had to dig really hard to dig my lettuce. I had to thin out all the lettuce seedlings and because of the crust I couldn't do it like I wanted top. The result was- my first harvest.


I tore too many lettuce leaves and I felt bad about throwing them away so I collected them.
After all the cleaning I'm left with 4 rows of good seedlings. I hope they will continue growing so I'll have more harvests soon.


My future lettuce seedlings are also looking great. I took them out of the greenhouse and now I just have to wait till they grow enough to replant them to the garden.


Today I also noticed that my tomato seedlings are starting to grow. Yesterday pots were still empty and today little green seedlings are showing.


I had to sow 20 pots more of tomatoes for our neighbor. That is total of 240 tomatoes sown this year.


We had few days of extremely warm weather and it seems that my garden flowers love it. In just few days my garden woke up and there are more flowers every day.

Hyacinths


 Erysimum


 Vinca major (Periwinkle)


I still have to clean up part of the yard and then enjoy sowing and planting. Well I will enjoy it if we get one decent rain that will soften the soil.

12 comments:

  1. I think you almost can start a professional nursery so many seedlings. You have lovely compost now the hard work is done, I still have to start turning my compostheap. Wish you happy gardening and some rain to soften the soil coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ♥
      I was thinking about professional nursery but then I would have to move my family out of the house to make room for seedlings and I gave up :D

      Delete
  2. Your seedlings make me so jealous. Janneke is allright, looks so profesional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would trade my seedlings for your bananas in a second.

      Delete
  3. I hope you get some rain. It's tough to garden when the weather isn't cooperating. I am very impressed with all the tomatoes you have sown - 240! Whew! Your compost will be wonderful for your soil. I need to do the same thing with my compost pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's hard and the weather is moody last 3 years, every spring instead of soil we have concrete.

      Delete
  4. It's been really windy all weekend here. You need to invest in a little compost trolley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have trolley and wheelbarrows but garden is too steep for it. I can't push or pull them. .

      Delete
  5. Your soil does look very dry I don't envy you trying to dig that lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still delaying sowing, when I see how my hoe just bounces off the ground I lose my enthusiasm

      Delete
  6. At least your hiacynths are blooming!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes they are. Finally some color in our garden :D

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥