2017 Harvest



Thursday, February 13, 2014

Playing with seeds

New gardening year is here so I started doing the only thing I can do right now. I started planning what seeds I'll use this year.
I started with tomatoes because we need many seedlings and many varieties. Last year we planted 25 varieties of tomatoes. This year I decided to plant 150 seedlings but only 19 varieties.
This year I'm planting Giant Belgium (10 seedlings), Costoluto (10s), Black krim (10s), oxheart (10s), giant tomato mix (20s), Viva Italija (10s), Napoli (10s), Rio grande(10s), Tlacolula (4s), Oregon spring (10s), Don Juan (10s), Marmande (10s), Campbell (10s) and Brainy, Cherry and Yellow cherry tomato (2 seedling each).
I also plan to buy 2 new varieties to try them (16 seedlings).


As I said I will not plant some of the tomatoes I bought last year. I decided against: Sun gold (too fruity taste), Tumbler (I think they sold me wrong  seeds), Sultan (nothing special), Glacier and Družba (not enough fruits), Stupice ( a lot like Campbell)  Marglobe and St Pierre (don't do well here- lots of rotten fruits).

This year I will also halve the amount of pepper seedlings. Last year I planted 300 seedlings of tomato peppers, 100 bell peppers and sweet and hot chili peppers. But over the last 3 years I saw that this is actually waste of money. Summer here is too hot. My pepper seedlings don't produce enough peppers. Last year I got one pepper per seedling. So this year I decided to buy only one bag of tomato peppers and plant only 50 seedlings. Also I'll plant only a few bell peppers and leave them in containers, I hope this will protect them from bugs and bad weather. I will also plant 20 seedlings of hot and 20 seedlings of sweet chili peppers.


I bought some new lettuces for this year so this year I will plant: Lollo fan, Zagreb summer, Holland, Pancalier and Nansen


I have some leftover seeds from last year that I will use so I will plant: watermelons (Sugar baby), zucchini (Greyzini F1), leek, radish, kale and celery.


 There are many seeds I still have to buy. I need cabbage, carrots, parsley, beets,cucumbers,  green beans, potatoes, peas and onions. I have some dry beans at home but I still don't know if they are pole beans of bush beans so I don't know if I'll plant them or not.
I decided against pole beans for this year. It's too difficult for me to drag big poles to the garden. So this year we will have only bush beans.
Also I'll need some millet and wheat for making shadow in the garden.
Hope I'll find all the vegetables I need. I just can't wait to get my hands dirty and start planting.


8 comments:

  1. I can't believe the quantity of vegetables you grow - you could set up a market stall - it must be such a lot of work for you - I am looking forward to the start of the growing season too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of work but it's worth it when fruits start ripening.

      Delete
  2. You have so many interesting seeds that I have never seen here. I can't wait to see your garden next spring-summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be lots of photos soon. Only few weeks more till the gardening season.

      Delete
  3. Wow that is still a huge number of plants and tomato varieties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I still don't have all the varieties I want :)

      Delete
  4. So many tomatoe plants.....are you going to sell them? I can imagine your hands are itching to start sowing and planting, lots of work to do. But we have to wait another few weeks before we can really start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I will not sell them. I collect and process them for winter because there are no vegetables in our markets during the winter.

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥