2017 Harvest



Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Elderberry time

It's that time of the year when elderberries are ready for collecting...only this year it's a bit different.Since this year we are having moody weather only 1/3 of elderberry flowers are open. The rest is still sleeping.


The ones that are blooming will die before the rest of them will start to bloom so I decided to pick the ones that are ready.


I guess all of my plants like to grow very high so I had to get my "special tool". I picked flowers with our tall branch shears.
They have a long pole so I could reach most of the flowers.


Still I couldn't pick all of them. Some were just to tall so I left them. I don't plan to play Tarzan just for 2 or 3 flower heads.


 I got 30 flower heads. Once I got home I soaked them in water and left them. I'll be making my Elderberry flower syrup tomorrow.


Before I could pick elderberries I had to scythe all the grass so I could reach them. I can now say that everything is cleaned.



and since there is no work at the garden for now I already started preparing my new flower garden. I began deep digging the land for new flower beds.
After I started I realized that this will be hard work.



The ground is terrible...so terrible that S. King could write scary books about it. There is so much roots that it takes me forever just to turn one shovel.
And still there is so much to dig, I guess it's a good thing I started doing this now. I guess if I dig everyday I should be done with it till the fall ☺



4 comments:

  1. The elderflowers aren't out here yet - but I like to make elderflower cordial with them - such a lovely summery drink. I don't envy you having to dig all that over - hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it will not be worth it I'll plant elderberry field in that spot. They seem to like it :D

      Delete
  2. I love the smell of these flowers but many of my friends consider this smell as repellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love the smell, especially when we're heating the syrup. Whole house smells so great.

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥