2017 Harvest



Saturday, May 26, 2012

Pruning tomatoes

Tomato seedlings grew a lot since I've planted them so it's time for their first pruning.


We do it so seedlings wouldn't grow like a bush, also by pruning branches that remain will get more food and fruits on them will be bigger and healthier.
Pruning can be difficult to explain so I'll just say it the way my parents explained it to me (the little idiot way)

When you look at tomato seedling it should have normal branches like every other plant. But it has a sucker growing between stem and branch.


That little thing doesn't do anything. It just takes food from plant so it should be removed. The process of removing it is simple just pluck it with your fingers. When they are small they are still very gentle so there will be no problems with removing them.


When you remove it your plant will look like this


When you prune the whole plant you should tie it to the stick so it doesn't break from wind or her own weight.
I do it like an eight. This way plant can grow without damage. Just do an 8 around the plant and wood.


And after 2 hours (100 seedlings) of pruning all plants look like that


While I was walking around the garden I saw that Purple teepee beans are blossoming. If weather doesn't get all crazy we should have new beans soon.



I wanted to do some more work around the garden but it started to rain. Last few days we I can only be inside an hour or two and it starts raining.
So the only thing I can do is watch how it's raining and wait.

2 comments:

  1. This is some thing I need to do more research into, many thanks for the publish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this information. I am growing tomato seedlings now and preparing to transplant them. So, I think I should prune them later..:)
    Your tomatoes look very great..!

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is appreciated ♥ Thank you ♥